Visit of the Hôtel des 3 Collèges


  • The Truschet and Hoyau map of Paris
    Well-known because of the exemplary copy preserved in Bâle, this map was drawn by Germain Hoyau, engraved by Olivier Truschet, and embellished by hand with flat layers of color. Like Saint-Victor's map, it depicts Paris around 1550 from a bird's-eye view. In the center of the image : the Sorbonne, which was also called Calvi College and the Cluny College (written "Clugni"), on the site of what is now the Hôtel des 3 Collèges.
  • The Saint-Victor's map of Paris
    This map, which was in the past preserved at the Abbey of Saint-Victor (the current site of the University of Jussieu), shows Paris circa 1550. This bird's-eye view places the west at the bottom of the page, so that the façade of Notre-Dame Cathedral is placed in front of the viewer.

  • The Braun map of Paris
    While created later than the previous maps (in 1572), this map nevertheless represents Paris around 1530. Georg Braun, then Canon of the Cologne Cathedral, wrote a scroll at the foot of the map describing a town "abundant with food and drink / rich with gorgeous fields and flowing rivers". The drawing was made by Simon Van der Novel.

  • The Belleforest map of Paris
    The work of an engraver known as Cruche, this map was ordered by the scholar François de Belleforest for a cosmography study published in Paris in 1575. Again representing Paris around 1550, it is a copy of Saint-Victor's map but includes several new elements such as the rampart of the Bastille, Tuileries Palace, and the new Hôtel de Ville.

  • The Delagrive map of Paris
    Printed in 1728
    , this map was made by the philosopher and cartographer Jean Delagrive (1689-1757). Appointed "Geographer in ordinary to the City," Abbot Delagrive made the first geometrical map showing parcels of Paris, marrying exactness of drawing and precision of detail. We can see here the many colleges in the area around Sainte-Genevieve, where the Hôtel des 3 Collèges' structure can be easily identified ("Religieux de Cluni").

  • The Turgot map of Paris
    Michel Etienne Turgot
    (1690-1751), "provost of the merchants of Paris," ordered this large map of the city in 1734. It shows a new axonometrical perspective in order to "satisfy the curiosity of the King's subjects and of foreigners". It was published in 1739 by the draughtsman Louis Bretez and the engraver Claude Lucas. The Turgot map, contemporary with the Delagrive map, offers a spectacular view of Paris during the first half of the XVIII century. The Hôtel des 3 Collèges has been placed in the center of the image (the building with the arcade topped by a turret).